Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Superbowl and super Parents!

    Today the 49'ers are in the Superbowl.  I used to live in San Fran, for 10 years, and their have such loyalty to their team.  My son, his girl friend, and everyone else from the bay area will be watching the game tonight.
    This morning I babysat Sydneys' children and a friend of theirs for a few hours.  I don't have any decent boots, so I was a bit afraid of slipping going over there-it snowed last night!  After they cleaned up the dishes, the children were busy playing Mindcraft.  All three of them sat bent over their small computer playing the game, making people disappear!  The world children can get into and stay in for hours on end!
   It made me think of Harry Potter and the English tradition, the upper class, of sending their children to boarding school, William and Harry went at 8.  Boarding school-Harry Potter, is about all of the abusive people at boarding schools.  It's basically a Lord of the Flies situation for children.  8 years old is so young.  I think of myself, and all the friends I've had who were mothers, and no one had a nanny-  a cleaning person-maid, yes, but nanny no.  It made me realize how much hard work we all put into our children and our families.  It made me see it wasn't an easy job, and that most women give their heart and soul to it.
   Jordan is so lucky that the twins are healthy.  A friend of Sydneys' was visiting from the west coast and it turned out he had twins, born at 24 weeks and only 1 1/2 pounds.  He said they were in the hospital for 5 months, it cost 3 million dollars and one of the twins has cerebral palsy.  Today at 13, they both have vision and balance problems.  I could tell how committed he was, and how much work they put into them.
   You never know what will happen.  This afternoon Zia, who is a friend of my grand daughter's from San Francisco, brought a fellow student from Pratt who was interested in babysitting.  Her name is Sandy and she was from upstate New York.
   She came from a family of 5 children, and she was so delightful.  She said she really loved her family and her parents and that she missed them.  She was paying her way through school, to the tune of 30,000 a year in student loans! Yikes.
    She worked with the twins and you could see she was careful and she smiled a lot.  I thought how wonderful, to come from a family you really love, one that respects one another and supports them.  Sandy said she really loved to talk to her mom and that she was a big effect on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment