Saturday, February 2, 2013

Mooburger, rock bands, and boys!

     I went out last night with Sydney, Eric, and James, age 8, to Mooburger. We were joined by two other mothers and their 8 years old sons and a friend of Eric's. It was a lively crowd! The three boys were sitting together being boys-shakes, french fries, and sliders. It was fun to watch the boys, first get their shakes and then get their energy!
    I was sitting next to Janice, one of the mothers, who it turns out was in a rock band. I used to have a band and we talked about how the men like to ignore you or turn their instruments up loud to drown you out.
     I said it was like "Wendy and the lost boys!"  I told Janice about my band and all the different acts I had,, comedic, mythical, and sexual, and how each song was a story. I told her how we'd played at Lingere in LA and I entered in a nuns habit as my drummer, Kevin, who was black and really buff, stood up and drummed with war paint on his chest, and a mask on his face.  Then we would "give our bodies to the drum" and peel off the nun's habits and be wearing these very sexy outfits underneath.  Or I played Bundy and the band executed me, or "Coffee Break" where I was a receptionist who rebelled.
    Janice thought it was pretty wild, she was just in a female band and they played for fun. I said you should got out, do your hair and makeup wild!
     "HElp me!" she said.  I answered I would.  We talked and talked. Jordan stayed home with the girls to get them down for bed.  It turned out Janice and her partner, Lisa, had their son together.  
     "Who was the father?"
     "Oh he's a good friend, gay, and he lives in Australia".  Janice had lived in San Franscisco for 10 years, she was raised in the south, but now she was part of a big Jewish clan in NY.
    "How do you like it?" I wanted to know.
     "I like it, it was different. You know, than the west coast.  It's all very ivy league here."
     "Yes, here they know how to get their grants, and get into the schools. On the west coast everyone is just supposted to 'find themselves' without any tools!"
     The boys were restless-they wanted ice  cream for dessert. No dessert their mothers said, too much already! And soon we were all out in the cold trudging home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment