Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Babies are coming, the Big Storm named "Sandy"!

     I got a text on my phone-big storm coming in! Yuk. Yuk. Yuk-though I bought snow boots. The text reminded me of October when hurricane Sandy was coming to the East Coast, it was all everyone was talking about, and Jordan was determined to get us into the city so she could have her babies at Cornell Hospital in Manhattan.  

     "We have to get in there before the storm otherwise we won't be able to get in, and I'm not  having the babies here in Brooklyn at Long Island Medical College.  I'm getting into the city."  She booked a hotel in mid-Manhattan and reserved it for two nights. Jordan also had her friend Monica's apartment where we could stay.
   "But first we have to go to Cornell and have a stress test!" Jordan said. 
   We took a cab into the city and went to Cornell, we both had suitcases and so we used the wheel chair to get our luggage upstairs.  Jordan was so big that people couldn't help but stare at her when she walked down the street.  You see other pregnant women going: "I hope i don't wind up like that!"
   When we got up to the maternity ward Jordan told them she was having contractions and that she was supposed to get a stress test.  They took her into a room and connected her up to a monitor on her belly.  Then, to my amazement, when she had a contraction, she started to moan! Jordan had never moaned in her life, and I hadn't heard her do this at home! I was impressed.   
    She explained to the resident on staff that she'd been in on false labor before and that she was to be induced on Friday!  It was I think Tuesday.
    The nurse and resident Beverly came in and out.  Finally about 4:30 they decided to induce her.  Sydney, who was going to go with Jordan into the delivery room as a supportive friend, was stuck in Brooklyn with her children! Yea. I was the one to go in with her. 
      I rushed down to the snack bar to get something to eat and drink.  WHen I came up Jordan was in the prep room for the operation with 2 other nurses.  The hospital was pretty empty as a lot of operations had been cancelled.  The anesthesologist came in to talk to Jordan.  He told her to make sure she got a "Lactation" consultant once she began breast feeding because he and his wife had failed to do so! "We waited until our baby was a month old and we made a big mistake with that one."
     Lactation consultant-wow, that was something new.  All I did when I had children was to say I wanted to breast feed (it was easier, no bottles), and that was that.  On about the 3rd day my milk came in and I remember my breasts really hurting.  I nursed all three of our children until they were about 6 months old and that was it.  My mother's generation all seemed to have trouble nursing, and my children were born in the new wave of keeping the baby in your room, breast feeding, and babies born into a warm pool.  Childbirth is very sexy.
     But back to the twins-if I was going into the delivery room I would need to get dressed in the blue pants, top, booties, a hair net, and a mask they gave me.  I moved fast and I was ready!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment