Thursday, January 24, 2013

Who a put a diaper down toilet??????????


The toilet is stopped up again!  It was stopped up a few days ago and Bob, who works for the owner, fixed it.  Now we will need a plumber. We text the owner, Jordan is uncomfortable complaining, but we have to go to the bathroom. Lucia, the nanny from El Salvador, is at the apartment. She cleans all the floors and organizes when the babies are sleeping. She lines them up in their car seats with little blankets on them. I go over to visit Jordan’s friend, Sydney, an artist who lives a few blocks away. Sydney wants to know how everything is going.  I tell her the latest low down-Jordan saw another apartment, garden apartment (it really would be considered a basement anywhere else in the country) that is 3600 and not so hot. It turns out that Cobble Hill is a very popular neighborhood because of the schools, public, thereby saving the parents thousands of dollars a year.
            Sydney empathizes. “She should move in here, the babies can go out in the yard. But I’m not sure about the expansion because of the building code.”  Jordan calls and tells me I have not left a number for the baby-sitter. I say I will be back in a bit. Sydney offers that I can spend the night, which I did when we had a night nurse. I am very tempted. She also tells me to join her at yoga.
            I rush back home, Lucia is feeding both babies and lullabies are playing. It seems very quiet.  But last week Lucia, who is short and on the heavy side, starts to go down our third floor walk up carrying Gigi. I see her holding Gigi with two hands and staggering on the top stairs. Pictures of her and Gigi flying down the stairs to their death envelop me.
“STOP! Be careful,” I yell.  Jordan lives on the third floor of a brownstone on a pretty street in Cobble Hill. Lucia stops.
“Grab the rail with one hand!”  Lucia makes it to the second floor landing and I instruct her on how to carry the baby the rest of the way down.
But trust is gone.  That night Jordan and I decide that Lucia would not leave the building with a baby. 
Jordan has gone for a workout.  She’ll be back in a few minutes.  The owner, Mike,  arrives and questions me about the toilet, the flow of water, if anything else is backed up. 
It all seems very intrusive, like somehow we did something wrong in going to the bathroom. I say the contractor, Bob, said that it might be the main line. 
Mike comes back with a plumber. Mike waits and watches the plumber.  Ten minutes later the plumber wants to know if we put anything like Tampax or a diaper down the toilet?
I say I'm through menopause and Jordan says she's been pregnant.  Lucia, after they leaves says: "How a stupid they think I am? As if I a put a diaper down the toilet! What they thinking?  I perfectly agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment