Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Colonoscopy...The Beginning-coming to NY

   I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow and I am very nervous.  I've had two, and should have had one about a year ago...but now I am.  I had some signs which got me scared so I signed up really fast for a colonoscopy at a nearby hospital.  
  While out to pick up my medicine (absolutely hate it), I did a rare thing for me.  I ran into the Catholic church and lit a votive candle.  It is one of those old church's on Court St. and no one was in it except a few people on the altar practicing in Spanish and a priest and old woman selling holy cards at the entrance.  I left the church and then ran back and said to the priest:

"My daughter has twins, I've been here for awhile and I'm having a colonoscopy tomorrow and I want you to pray for me!"
"Are the twins alright?" father asked.
"Yes, they are fine.  But my mother died of colon cancer and I'm afraid."  And I started crying.

Father Thomas held up his hand and said something like, "Dear Lord, please take Sarah and let her have a peaceful time tomorrow, let he body be clean and pure and let there be only peace.  "Thank you lord" and he blessed me.
At that moment all my Catholic background came back.
I guess in the end we all want to be absolved of any sins or short comings we have. 
I am feeling out of it.  It all seems like a dream.  I ask Jordan, "how long has it been?"
"They'll be 3 months old tomorrow."
"Wow"
"Remember when you first came here, October 13th?"

I think back, it was so long ago.  I remember thinking the babies would come any minute, they were due on Halloween, but twins, twins come early.

When I saw Jordan I couldn't believe how huge she was-and still working.  She was absolutely gigantic.  We'd walk down the street and people would literally part and stare.  Pregnant women would look at her scared.

She took it all in stride and was very calm. I was thinking I'd be there for a couple of weeks, she had friends lined up who were coming to stay and there wasn't room for all of us in this apartment.

"I've had no problems what so ever" Jordan told me again, "nothing, no diabetes, no anything.  It's all that running and working out I did for years.  I'm a star pupil my doctor says." 
We walk down to Smith St. and have breakfast.
"Work sends a car for me...they worried about me taking the subway."  Jordan told me, she has lived in NY for 20 years.  She came to go to Columbia, traveled around Europe and the Middle East, went back to the West Coast and then settled in New York.  She'd walk through central park at night time, walk across the city, do a marathon that started in the river, and wind up with a 25 mile bike ride. She was tougher than me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment