Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It's 11 degrees!!!!!!!!!! Where's LA sun?

 Even the New Yorkers are saying its cold.  Mary, the baby nurse, arrives and today she has on a fur coat, boots with warm liners, a fur hat, and gloves.  "I just walked from the corner to here" Mary, who was from Jamaica says "and its cold!"
"I ordered their zero weather bags" Jordan tells me, "but they haven't arrived.  Maybe I should have them deliver them to the office."  Two hundred dollars a pop- but they can be worn until five years old!  It's big business because so many New Yorkers take their babies out and walk them in strollers.  They are "working strollers" and in the rain or cold weather they put plastic covers over the stroller to keep the cold air and rain out.  They stick bags in the bottom, coffee cups in the cup holders, groceries on the handles, they are a walking car!
 Jordan got a stroller for two from Sidney as a baby gift.  But when we tried to use it with the twins, who were three weeks old, we couldn't figure out how to get them into the stroller.  She went by the neighborhood baby store and they said the twins had to be 11 weeks old to use it.  It's a double width stroller so you have to maneuver it around doorways-more like a mini-car.  Jordan went out and bought another stroller, one that held the car seats before we went to Memphis for Xmas.  Me, all I had for 3 kids was a little umbrella stroller that weighed a couple of pounds and I threw in the trunk.
There are so many different choices in everything now-the kind of stroller, the car seat, the bottle, the breast pump, the lactation consultant, the baby nurse, the "dula", etc.  I am overwhelmed with the choices but can now discuss them like any other young mother.  Things like "sensitive" Similac, and Dr. Brown's bottles, detachable car seats, and on and on and on.
The doorbell keeps ringing.  I run downstairs-its the postman for the owner.  They just ring every bell.  He wants me to sign.  I try to sign, but the pen is frozen.  The postman breathes on it!  "I say, it's cold!" He nods and runs away!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment