Monday, January 21, 2013

President sworn in-still no nanny!



I did not see the Inauguration today, we do not have TV, but I did see clips tonight on the internet.  We are the greatest country, all Americans are equal President Obama says in so many words!
            Why do I always feel like it’s an ad campaign, or a Hollywood spin. “We are the greatest…”    What does that mean, why do we have to keep telling ourselves we are the greatest and number one?  Surely if we really felt that way we wouldn’t have to brag about it.
            I really think our insecurity makes us think we have to constantly be in charge and prove to the world we are the best!  We have to be the best country, get the most medals, be the most perfect opportunity for everyone.  Everyone is moving up, going places.
            “I was working class”, “my parents just came to this country”, “my mother was a single mother”, the stories go on and on.  Look at me now world, I’m Beyonce, I’m Donald Trump, I’m President Obama, I’m Lance Armstrong, I’m rich, I’m successful, I have made it to the top!
            This drive to be perfect has us (especially in Hollywood, cutting our faces, stuffing our tits, fat removing our butts, dying our hair, oh yes and oxygenating our blood.)
Let’s back up for a second-Lance Armstrong, the new OJ everyone can hate.  But the truth of the matter is the very qualities that made him win the Tour de France 7 times, and remember its 22 days of grueling cycling on steep mountains with riders neck and neck, are the very same qualities that drove him to use whatever means possible to put his body in the best physical shape.  Most of them were doping.  So now everyone can judge him and he can be publicly shamed. 
And there are the more simple problems like a nanny and an apartment.
Since Josephine told Jordan she needed more money than Jordan was offering she is  interviewing other nannies.  Two women came today, one 28, Siera, from Granada, who was 28, and Gwen from St. Lucia.
Jordan stays with Siera and I got to Sydney’s house and sleep.  I have hit a wall! My doctor calls this morning and tells me I have a pinched nerve and carpal tunnel in my right arm. Great, I can barely hold Tess, and Gigi’s too heavy.  I just feel tired, like the job is endless, not that I do that much.  Jordan’s exhausted and nervous because she goes back to work on a big project on Wed. and she doesn’t have a nanny.
            I understand her anxiety.  I feel anxious for her and these little babies, two, almost three months old.  Paul, their father, is back in Canada and doesn’t seem to be in the picture anymore.
            I return at 5,  Siera is leaving, and Jordan goes down to meet Gwen at a coffee shop.  They come up a few minutes later and Gwen disappears into the bathroom to throw up.  She is a large woman, almost 6 feet tall.  She apologizes.  No problem for us.
            Jordan shows her the babies.  I ask her about her children.  She has 3, 37, 27, 21.
            “They all went back to St. Lucie, they didn’t like it here.”
            Well, so much for the American dream. 
“My mother is here, she came here 37 years ago, but they are back in St. Lucie.  They all have good jobs!” Gwen says.  I walk her downstairs.  As she is leaving she tells me “good luck” in finding a nanny.
            “And its warm” I point out.  When I watch President Obama’s speech I think of Gwen.
            Jordan thinks she’s too old, and she wants a Metro card, vacation and holiday pay.  I don't even get those. But these babies, I have to take care of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment