Sunday, January 19, 2014

We're beat!

     My son Dan, and his girlfriend Sophia, are here helping watch the twins while Jordan goes to a conference.  The one rule she gave is don't pick up the girls at night time, no matter what.
    Jordan snuck out yesterday so the girls would not see her leave.  Dan and Sophia were doing great with all the schedules, food, everything.  Tess and Gigi went down nicely and we all thought, yeaaaa!
    Of course that isn't how the nights have been with Jordan.  One of them always seems to be getting up in the night, and its always something- a wet diaper, constipated, a poop, gas, they want to see their mother.
    I was just about going to sleep, it was around 11pm when the next thing I knew Gigi was up and Dan was trying to hold her.  She was writhing and screaming and Dan handed her to Sophia in the girls "pen".  Actually its a fenced in area that has a bed on the floor and Jordan's been sleeping there until she gets the doors on the room. It's supposed to be the third bedroom, but instead its a play room and we have two living rooms.
    Sophia took Gigi, I joined her, and there were the most blood curdling screams I ever heard. You would have thought she was being murdered!  And she was throwing herself around, she wouldn't let Sophia touch her.  She was going to hurt herself, and she had to be contained.
   I tried to grab her, but she was thrashing about.  Dan brought us a bottle of chamomile tea, Sophia left the play area, and I laid down with her, holding her tightly in my arms. She was sucking on the bottle for dear life.  Pretty soon the tea was gone but she kept sucking, which is supposed to produce gas, but at this stage I figured who cares?  
    Dan and Sophia didn't know what to do, so they crept around eventually sleeping on the single bed in the second living room.
    I just kept holding her, I'd never been able to sleep with the girls, but last night I had no choice.
    This went on for an hour and all I could think was that Gigi woke up and realized it wasn't her mother, and she was inconsolable.  Finally she went to sleep but she continued to cry in her sleep for another hour.  I needed to go to the bathroom, my throat was dry, I was on the edge of the bed, but I had to stay put.
    Finally I went to sleep and then about 4 got up.  I'd heard Tess crying in their bedroom.  I got up, did a lou stop, drank some water, and went back to bed with Gigi.  It was 4am, they got up anywhere from 5:30 to 6am.
     Which was what happened just as I was going back to sleep- I heard Tess in the other room.  Now it was play time to get up-5:50.
     A few minutes later we were going over what happened.  Dan said that Gigi, when he picked her up, was fine.  It was when he tried to put her in the crib in the second ling room that she freaked out.  I thought she'd woken up, realized Dan and Sophia were not her mother and got hysterical. 
   As it turned out, they went back to the front room to bed and Tess had gotten up and slept with Sophia on the couch from 3am on. We were all exhausted and it took until 1pm for the girls to finally take a real nap.
    Dan didn't tell Jordan the full story, just that the girls got up, to which Jordan said "don't pick them up no matter what!"
    Sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment