Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Oh the body and aging!

    I actually thought it wouldn't happen to me, my body would never give out!  At least not until my 80's.  Four years ago, right around the time of my eldest sons death I noticed a tremor in my right thigh and then a small one on my lip.  My partner had been saying I walked like a zombie.  I said it was because I was in pain.  I'd had a lot of hip and back pain.  Then my daughter-in-law said I didn't swing my arms when I walked. So what, I thought.  But when I looked up tremors Parkinsons came up.  I couldn't believe it.  I was sure it was all those years of remodeling houses and the paint remover I'd used.
  It took 6 months for the doctor at Kaiser to give me medication-I worked hard to look normal.  Like everyone else I read all about it and had investigated stem cell work in Germany.  It's since then been disbanded.
   It's hard to believe I have it. I expect my  body to function and when it doesn't its quite frustrating.
   When I was in my mid forties I feel off the deck and fractured my back. I'd healed from it just fine.  I'd also taken Fosamax for a number of years and stopped it when they said people's jaws were locking.  Then one night we skidded going home.  It was raining, and in order to avoid oncoming traffic our car went up the curb.  I was holding our dog andtried to protect er.  WHen it was over I'd fractured my back on top of an old fracture.  I didn't find this out until I insisted on a MRI of my lumbar spine, Kaiser (no longer with them but where the ambulance went) missed looking at my lumbar spine.  It took 2 weeks to get an MRI that revealed what was going on in my body.  And two vertebrae popped out.  I thought they'd put themb back in place but the consensus was to leave them.  It's driven me nuts.  I've now learned that's what dowagers get!  And I've heard the word Osteoporasis, taken the drug Forteo, and realized I'd not been taking proper care of my bones.  Like Parkinson's, this wasn't something I could spontaneously heal.  It was a mess because with my back out, my spine was weakened.  I can't pick up the twins, and a really heavy bag of groceries is tough. I thought with the milk I had every day, and the walking and yoga I did, I was fine.  Apparently not.
    So aging.  The body doth age, unfortunately, and even for the baby boomers.

No comments:

Post a Comment