Saturday, June 8, 2013

Life is a strange repetition!

     Life is strange.  I just heard from a friend of my childhood-Peggy, who I trick or treated with when I was 10!  I remember one year I was a cigarette box, I can't recall what Peggy was,  and we went back to her house and her mom was there smoking a cigarette.  I remember her mom in the kitchen and how we'd come in and she'd listen to us.  It's strange having these memories from so long ago.  We both went to Catholic grade school and high school together, Nerinx Hall in St. Louis, Mo.  Now we are grandmothers!
Also our first children were born at the same year, one day apart, same month.  She breast fed a lot longer than I did.
    It's funny because we moved to Glendale, Mo., when I was 9 or 10.  It is in St. Louis, Mo., the gateway to the west and home of the "arch".  There were 2 golf courses just a half block and 3 blocks from our house.  I would run down to the golf course in the summer at night time, and just walk around it.  I thought of the golf course as my own private back yard even though we didn't belong.  And I remember ice skating, and sled riding on the golf courses. 
     I think it was high school, one of the "cool" girls from grade school, Mary Queen of Peace, was named Kathy L.  One Sunday at Mass I saw her and she was pregnant.  I guess she dropped out of high school for the time being, and I'd see her at Mass with her family as her pregnancy grew.  She was about 15 or 16.  Then you didn't abort babies, you'd give them up for adoption.  But she was so young and it was so strange to see her pregnant.  Somehow I got the lesson that you could be very cool, from a cool family, and strange things can happen to you.
    Now, here in Cobble Hill, we have every kind of combination.  At dance class the other day I saw 3 triplets, girls, and their nanny informed me that the parents were two "gay" men!  That must be wild I thought, two guys and 3 girls in puberty!  Another young mother I met, has two boys, 3 and five, with her gay partner.  It seems PS 29 has every kind of combination.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment